Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mount Evans Colorado



The boys and I took off last week with Ma Ali to visit her sister in Evergreen, Colorado. There, the boys met their cousins (by marriage), Elijah, Joshua and Jacob. And...Aunt Barbara. The weather was amaazingly cool with no humidity. They don't even have AC because it never gets hot enough. Very strange coming from 100 degrees and 100% humidity here in Cary. The boys played, watched movies, rode bikes, did cartwheels, played air hockey, built legos, went swimming (indoor pool) and played video games. Ma Ali and her sister exercised every morning and thankfully Alison didn't pass out from the high altitude. On our last day we wanted to get a real taste of the mountains so we decided to amke the drive up Mount Evans...one of Coloraod's 14er's. (A term completely new to me...means a peak at 14,000 feet) Colorado has about 50 of them. Well, we just think this is going to be a nice relaxing drive through the hills. HA! We were shocked! It took about 1.5 hours to reach the peak. For some reason there are NO guard rails on Mount Evans and if any place needs them, it's there. Barbara did a wonderful job driving and I did a great job of not peeing in my pants. There was no shoulder on the road...just a cliff. And did I mention the curves and cutbacks? Well, it was definitely an adventure and a sight to behold. I have never EVER seen anything like it. The temperature dropped 30 degrees from the bottom to the top. We saw mountain goats, prairie dogs, beautiful lakes, streams and SNOW!!! Hello, it's July folks!I have been sheltered here in NC....I didn't know snow was anywhere in JULY!!! Well, we saw lots of daredevils on bikes and motorcycles and even a few walkers. I'm so glad the boys experienced such a beautiful sight. Enjoy the pictures...look close for the goats!



No comments: