Monday, May 19, 2008

Graham and Charlie visit the ENT

So, here's the background info...Gand C went for their 3 year check up a few weeks ago. The doctor saw fluid behind their ears and predicted it was just a result of their runny noses(allergies). She wanted to see them back in two weeks to make sure the fluid was gone. Well, guess what...it wasn't! So, dumb me is like, well, let's put them on an antibiotic to get rid of it. The doc said that since it wasn't infected antibiotics wouldn't help... So, today we visited to ENT and the fluid is still there. AND, both boys have hearing loss (not permanent, we hope). Charlie's was mild and Graham's was worse. SO, the doc immediately said they need tubes and their adenoids removed. He said this will help drain the fluid and help with all the runny noses WHICH will help with Graham's asthma . THEN I told the doctor that they both have speech problems. He said, your pediatrician should have had their hearing tested as soon as the speech problems appeared. I was LIVID! My pediatrician has known about their speech problems for over a year and NEVER suggested having their hearing tested. So, the ENT said they have probably not been hearing well therefore have these problems. After the tubes, the fluid will drain BUT they have missed out on so much language development that they may have a hard time catching up! I WAS EVEN MORE LIVID! AND, to top it off, he said this could present a problem when they're in Elementary school with their auditory processing. OH MY LAWD!!! I thought I would die as he was saying this stuff. My poor babies! He said he'd be pretty mad at the pediatrician if he were me. SO, deep breath...we will have the surgery next Tuesday. They will have the mask kind of anesthesia...what does that even mean? The surgery should last 30 minutes and 1.5 hours in recovery. I hope to see an improvement in their speech as the fluid drains and they can FRICKIN' hear! So to everyone who thought they were wild indians...they aren't , they were just FRICKIN" deaf!!!!! AGHHHH!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so SORRY!!! I know you are completely frustrated. They are so little and resiliant though, I bet they will be caught up in no time. Good luck next week...we are thinking and praying for you!

Heather

MoD said...

Fiona had tubes put in when she was nine months old - she had moderate hearing loss as a result of the fluid. One week after the surgery (which took less than 5 minutes) her hearing was in the normal range. 6 month later she checked out fine, tubes are still in, and she's had no infections since there. She's MUCH happier since the tubes went in - really a whole new kid. And she recovered quickly from the surgery. Hope this helps.