Thursday, April 2, 2009

10 year anniversary trip to the Virginia mountains

Ten years ago, I married my best friend! We have never done anything exciting to celebrate our anniversaries, but we felt like we really needed to celebrate surviving the last 10 years. We went back and forth for months about this one, too. There were so many obstacles to tackle that I had basically decided it wasn't worth the hastle of going anywhere. The main obstacle was finding a place for the boys to stay. Although they are amazingly precious kids, they are two 3 year old boys!!! Then, my sis in law, Kira and I decided that we could take each others kids and have back to back vacations. So, at this very moment, Kira is on day 6 with 4 boys...Graham, Charlie, Zach (1 month younger than Graham and Charlie), and Ethan who is 2!!! There have been some sketchy moments over the last week, but Kira and Jon are coming into the home stretch and the end is in sight. When we get home, we pick up all four boys and Kira and Jon take their vacation week. They'll surely need it! So, when thinking of what we wanted out of a vacation, immediately Travis and I said we wanted to sleep, read, watch movies and eat...and I wanted beautiful scenery. I had no desire for adventure or even being around people :) I found a beautiful cottage in Crozet, Virginia (right outside Charlottesville). It is absolutely perfect and has met every one of our criteria! It is a small cottage equipped with all the basics. It was the summer kitchen of the main house built in 1906. The homeowners are wonderful, they have 3 jack russells who have spent alot of time with us in out cottage. The cottage overlooks the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is the perfect spot to relax and reenergize. We have alot to celebrate and have spent alot of time looking back on the last decade. We have been blessed with our three children. They are extra precious to us because of the journey we took to get them. We were lucky enough to live in Paris for a year and visit Belgium, England, Portugal and Morocco. We have a great church and wonderfual friends. The kids love their grandparents...and spend alot of time with them, especially Mom and Judy who live in our neighborhood. We have amazing neighbors who are like family and it's so neat to see the kids all growing up together. Travis has worked at Redstorm for 11 years and still loves it. As for me, I have loved staying home with the kids...I am definitely not a great housekeeper, still have alot to learn in the kitchen, but I have had a blast making memories with the kids. Our house is loud, the kids can get messy, be creative and feel safe. The neighbors kids are always in and out and there's always someone to play with. I feel so blessed...I keep telling the kids to stop growing, time may have poked along when they were babies and I was covered in spit up everyday, but now time is flying by. I think ahead to our 20 year wedding anniversary...Emma will be 17 and the boys will be 14. Travis and I will be 45. My stomach sinks when I think of this. I want to spend the next 10 years soaking in every moment with my family. I don't want to take anything for granted. So, here's to our first 10 years of marriage and still being best friends!

4 comments:

MOMjNana said...

You are the perfect marriage partner for my son and I love you and your family dearly. Judy

Heather said...

I am so happy it worked out for you guys to go and enjoy each other and the peace of your cottage. Here's to many more decades to come!

Mocha_Mom said...

a lovely summary of the past 10 years... so glad we could help you guys get away. 4 kids is definitely worth it when I read this. I love those boys and will take them again :) have a great few days. don't worry about us! hugs, camp Wolfe

Beth said...

oh, such a beautiful post. happy 10 years, christioli & travisala! i'm so glad i could spend some time with you guys for each year of it (& i know you are, too)! :o)

you are an amazing couple and we love you guys so much. so glad you had a chance to get away... can't wait to hear more about it!